Cosmetic Acupuncture, also known as Facial Acupuncture, has been used for thousands of years by doctors in China to rejuvenate the skin. In fact, there is literature that highlights over 2000 prescriptions formulated for herbal medicine and acupuncture for the treatment of ageing skin as far back as the Jin Dynasty (265-420 AD) to the last dynasty Qing Dynasty (1616-1911 AD).
Cosmetic Acupuncture treatments include the combination of local acu-points on the face and body points to bring the body back to a wellness state of health. It is important to understand ageing is a natural physiological process to life and it isn’t a ‘diseased state’, however or choice in what we eat and how we live can accelerate this process or slow it down. In addition, illness and it’s treatments can sometime accelerate the ageing process which at times may be difficult to avoid. This is where Cosmetic Acupuncture is different to other anti-ageing treatments such as botox, fillers and the like. Our focus as acupuncturists is and always will be to improve general health through the signs and symptoms the body shows us and the treatment of Cosmetic Acupuncture is no different to any other treatment we do in our clinical setting.
Benefits of Cosmetic Acupuncture*
- Stimulation of Collagen and Elastin: The ‘micro-traumas’ created by skin needling instigates the natural physiological response in the dermal layer of the skin.
- Tightens and Tones the skin: Acupuncture promotes circulation to the face to improve complexion and tighten pores. By stimulating the muscles in the face, the outcome is improved tone in the skin.
- Reduce depth and width of wrinkles: By threading small intra-dermal needles along the path of the wrinkle, the ‘natural physiological response’ to release collagen and elastin will see wrinkles reduce in length and depth.
- Lift sagging jowls and upper eye lids: Sagging results from Qi deficiency leading to Qi descending. When Qi descends, common complaints are haemorrhoids, prolapse (uterine, bowel, bladder), and sagging skin. By nourishing the Qi you can strengthen the Qi’s ability to lift and flourish. It’s important to mention that this response varies within each individual based on the extent of Qi deficiency. This is not a quick result as it has been potentially years in the making and acupuncture doesn’t act that quickly. So the sooner a person addresses these concerns the better it is to achieve the desired outcome.
- Reduces facial puffiness and bags under the eyes: Fluid retention in the face occurs due to ‘Spleen Qi Deficiency’ and ‘Spleen and Kidney Yang Deficiency’. These are Chinese Medicine terms that simply state the digestive system and water metabolism of the body needs tonifying. This can be addressed by local acupuncture on the face and body acupuncture.
- Improve the complexion of the facial skin: Improved circulation in the face will result in the skin’s ability to be nourished and as a result the complexion of the skin appears more vibrant.
Collagen Induction Therapy:
Collagen Induction Therapy also known as Skin Needling is a very simple process but has great results.
The benefits are acquired through the use of a Skin Needling Roller. The roller is a small cosmetic tool that causes ‘micro traumas’ on the skin to activate the skin’s natural healing process. This then leads to collagen and elastin to be deposited around the treated area resulting in a complex biochemical event of skin regeneration.
Additionally, Collagen Induction Therapy increases the absorption of cosmeceuticals by up to 1000% ( as shown in studies conducted in Europe*), so it’s essential to only put 100% natural skincare on your skin while undergoing Collagen Induction Therapy.
Results can usually be seen after 6 weeks and individual variations exists due to various factors such as current state of eage, diet and lifestyle choices.
Salubre’s Treatments Include:
Cleansing/Exfoliating: The facial skin is cleansed and a suitable masque is applied to the face and neck. This is to gently exfoliate the dead surface cells as a build up of dead cells can lead to a barrier forming on the skin which obstructs the skin’s natural ability to rejuvenate.
Lymphatic Drainage: Massaging the face gently with a Jade Roller promotes circulation, tightens pores and helps with the natural process of draining excess fluid around the skin. The jade stone has been used for many years as it exhibits anti-ageing benefits through its cooling effect on the skin.
Collagen Induction Therapy: Utilising a 0.5mm or 1mm skin needling roller (depending on individual concerns), skin needling is administered to initiate ‘micro-traumas’ in the skin, particularly the dermal layer to instigate the skin’s ‘natural healing process’ and stimulate collagen and elastin production in the skin.
Cosmetic Acupuncture: A combination of small, fine needles and intra-dermal needles are utilised to stimulate specific acupuncture points to assist in treating individual concerns.
Body Acupuncture: Acu-points are chosen on the body to assist to improving any deficiencies or imbalances that have been discussed during the consultation.
Removal of needles: After 25 minutes needles are removed.
Application of anti-ageing serum and day cream: Salubre Cosmeceuticals products are chosen as they are 100% natural and free of any nasty chemicals.
Care instructions provided and dietary and lifestyle program discussed to assist in improving overall health and wellbeing.
It’s important to understand ageing is a natural process but the speed in which it happens can be either accelerated or slowed down according to our general health, and dietary/lifestyle choices. With that in mind, many people opt to firstly address any health concerns that may impact the benefits received from such anti-ageing treatments.
Additionally, these treatments aren’t beneficial for smokers as the effect smoking has on ageing can’t be simply rectified by acupuncture while the person is still smoking. For this reason, it is advised the person be supported to give up smoking through our standard acupuncture consultations before starting the anti-ageing treatment protocol.
Salubre Cosmeceuticals is a natural skin care range developed for facial rejuvenation by Dr Irene Prantalos (Chinese Medicine). Each range has been carefully formulated to assist a variety of skin types.
For more information head on over to view our Salubre Cosmeceuticals.