‘Tis the season to avoid any flare ups with your Psoriasis
It seems this time of year I hear many patients conflicted with enjoying the beautiful weather with a couple of glasses of wine and great company. However, for many it can be a time of year where their psoriasis will flare up due to the increase stress, altered diet and family get togethers that are confronting at the best of times. So this week’s blog is all about how to manage the stressors of Christmas and enjoying the festive season while keeping your skin healthy.
- Traffic chaos – it seems that there are more cars on the road this time of year and everyone is in a hurry. More people are driving recklessly and more rage on the roads.
- Shopping Centre Chaos – with almost the entire world out there buying presents for all their loved ones for the exact same day there is no wonder the shopping centres are filled with people looking for gifts that are memorable and desired.
- Family Chaos – we all have some level of dysfunction in our family right – otherwise life would be pretty boring.
- Temptation – it is a time of year I am more tempted than others. The smell of a barbeque sizzling away, delicious dishes coming out of the oven one after the other and the urge to enjoy a cool glass of bubbles with your meal. All this sounds wonderful and makes Christmas feel more enjoyable but think about the next day and the day after that how you will feel.
QUICK TIP – Look at what the menu will be and if you are celebrating at a relative’s house perhaps chat with them as to what minor alterations can be made so that it is suitable for you. For example, instead of eating barbeque chops and sausages – you can enjoy grilled salmon or lamb souvlaki. The seasoning can be of fresh herbs such as oregano, rosemary, sage etc. For salads have a bowl put aside without any dressing and you can add your own dressing including extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and lemon.
There are some great recipes you could get from http://ireneprantalos.com/recipes-for-psoriasis that will taste delicious and limit any feeling of missing out. While you are there have a look at the Apple and Coconut Muffins, I prefer eating them warm with some fresh stewed apple drizzled over the top.
- Alcohol – this one is a tricky one. Often I get asked for tips on dealing with the temptation of alcohol. The only tip I can suggest is have a juice prepared earlier that has a combination of vegetables and fruit that can wet the appetite and reduce the need to drink alcohol. You can mix it with a little bit of sparkling water to add the fizz to it.
- Overall Stress – it is a time of year of overall stress as many of us reflect on what we have or what we don’t have or what we are told we must have but don’t. The truth is stuff or other people’s expectations of what your life must be will never make you happy.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.