Which Anti-Ageing Treatment is Better?
Our skin health is a mirror to our inner health. No matter what we do on the surface, the true effects of our inner health will be highlighted on our skin. Conjointly, the speed in which we age, is directly dependant on our health. So I want you to keep this in mind when searching for the “Fountain of Youth”, as I believe the fountain of youth exists but in a multi-faceted way.
Let’s dive into the differences between skin needling (micro needling) and cosmetic acupuncture.
Skin Needling also known as Collagen Induction Therapy or Micro Needling is focused on creating micro traumas to the skin’s surface to initiate the production of elastin and collagen. The reason we want the natural synthesis of collagen and elastin is because these fibres are broken down as we age. The loss of collagen and elastin results in the loss of structure in the face (plumpness and fullness), which leads to sagging of the jowls.
In addition to the formation of collagen and elastin, there is an increase in circulation which helps to:
- Rejuvenation of Skin Cells
- Improved Complexion and Tone
- Reduction in Hyper-pigmentation
- Reduction in fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction in acne scarring
- Increased uptake of topical skincare products (making skincare more effective)
This is a great way to naturally improve the skin’s texture and tone, create a natural lift and make the skin plumper and dewier.
When it comes to depth of skin needling roller, there is no point to go less than 0.5mm and no point to go to more than 1mm. If you decide to go to a beauty or dermal therapist, they most likely will go for a bigger size and that may require you to have some numbing cream.
As an acupuncturist where we use the act of inserting needles to create the desired therapeutic effect we are looking for, using numbing cream completely opposes what we are trying to achieve. By stimulating the nervous and circulatory systems, we are creating the therapeutic effect we desire. If we numb these structures in the face, we are essentially stopping the body from achieving the optimal results. It is advised to go for a larger size if you are working on stretch marks around the abdomen, thighs etc but certainly not for the face.
As I mentioned above, our inner health will create the health of our skin. Cosmetic Acupuncture is more than just acupuncture for the face. It is an intense treatment that involves the rejuvenation of the entire body. Often, my patients who enjoy cosmetic acupuncture will have underlying health concerns such as arthritis, menopausal symptoms, digestive issues and skin ailments. A treatment of cosmetic acupuncture looks at the entire body and interprets the skin’s presentation as imbalances, deficiencies or circulatory issues that need attention.
Cosmetic Acupuncture benefits include:
- Lifting Jowls and Sagging.
- Rejuvenating skin to improve complexion and tone.
- Reducing Hyper-pigmentation.
- Rejuvenating Collagen and Elastin to reduce the depth and width of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Acne scarring and other forms of scarring is reduced
- Address health concerns and strengthen overall health by applying acupuncture to the body. This improves health from a foundation perspective and aims to reduce the ageing process.
- Optional, herbal medicine is provided to support cosmetic acupuncture and improve the individual’s overall health and wellbeing.
By resolving inner health ailments, the person’s skin starts to radiate from the inside out. This means the benefits last longer and the person feels amazing, as often we see an increase in energy, deeper sleep, better digestive health and more zest for life. The results are extraordinary, and it simply entails the addition of acupuncture points on various parts of the body.
Schedule Your Cosmetic Acupuncture Appointment here
The benefits of cosmetic acupuncture and skin needling is that your anti-ageing skincare will have a greater effect on your skin for the 72 hours following your treatment. Take advantage of this by using cosmeceutical skincare that is focused on delivering key anti-ageing ingredients to the dermal layer of your skin.
By delivering ingredients with complete anti-ageing nutrient profiles, your skin will start to rejuvenate from the base of the epidermis to the top. Since your skin takes 28 days for the cells to migrate from the bottom to the top, you will start to see some amazing results within 4 weeks.
As a base anti-ageing skincare routine, the Pearl Brilliance range will cleanse, exfoliate, hydrate and rejuvenate mature, sun-damaged skin.
The ingredients deliver:
Antioxidants to assist in healthy cellular turnover and rejuvenate dry, damaged skin.
Skin brightening ingredients such as white peony and pearl powder.
Natural Vitamins such as vitamin C as found in high levels in Kakadu Plum. Vitamin C helps to improve immune health by restoring the skin’s flora as well as delivering antioxidant benefits to the skin.
Anti-inflammatories to reduce redness in the skin and improve skin reactivity.
Healing oils used to cleanse the skin without disrupting the lipid layer so the skin will feel cleansed and hydrated at the same time.
Oils that deeply moisturise and hydrate the skin to help with resolving dryness and irritation in the skin.
Specialty anti-ageing product benefits:
Specialty anti-ageing products are formulated for specific skin concerns with the added benefits of cosmetic peptides. These ingredients have strong evidence backing their claims through scientific research.
Darkness, fine lines, bags under the eyes are common concerns we all dislike. The RevitalEyes Eye Serum is packed with 20% peptides (Snap 8, Eyeseryl), niacinamide, vitamins B5 and E, and herbal extracts Rhodiola, Angelica and Astragalus. This age-defying scientific formula will create the results and keep the results even after you wash it off. There are no fillers and the ingredients have been proven to reduce the signs of ageing after twice daily use within 28 days.
Melasma, age spots, hyper-pigmentation can be tough to address effectively. The best sunspot treatment inhibits tyrosinase to slow down the production and deposition of melanin in the skin. That is exactly what the Luminescence Skin Brightening Serum does and it is done without any irritation or bleaching of the skin. Therefore, there is no impact on your own skin tone, just those pesky age spots.
Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Dehydrated skin becomes dry and wrinkly. Keeping your skin hydrated by drinking lots of water won’t cut it. We need to deliver hydrating cosmeceuticals straight to the dermis of the skin to initiate the change you are looking for.
Drops of Youth ‘Elixir of Beauty’ is packed with all the anti-ageing ingredients your skin needs. Anti-ageing ingredients include Hyaluronic Acid, Matrixyl 3000, DMAE, Co Q 10, Heptapeptide 8 and Angelica. This high-quality age defying serum won’t disappoint. To get the most benefits out of the age-defying serum, ensure you exfoliate your skin before application. Followed by adding more moisture to the skin with the Antioxidant Enriched Day Cream.
Finally, foods we should enjoy in abundance to help rejuvenate mature skin are:
- Whole Foods.
- Stock/soups made from bones. (provide bone marrow and calcium from the bones) - Small tip: add a small amount of vinegar to assist with the release of marrow and calcium from the bones.
- Stewed casseroles (slow cooking).
- Egg yolk, legumes, grains, green leafy vegetable, beetroots.
- Boil whole chicken, add vegetables & herbs. Slow, long cooking preferred. - Drink stock with the meat.
- Nutrient rich foods - I.e.: Fruits/ vegetables, protein (tofu, fish, soy milk, soy products).
- Barley, millet, string beans, asparagus, dark coloured beans.
- Blueberries, mulberries.
- Seaweed, fish eggs, dairy products.
- Keep well hydrated - Drink a minimum of 2 litres of water a day (preferably warm). You may need to exceed quantity if involved in physical activity which causes sweating.
- Chronic dieting
- Stimulants – coffee, spicy and rich foods
- Use of recreational drugs