Skin Needling VS Cosmetic Acupuncture. Which Anti- Ageing Treatment is Better?
We all know the beauty industry is a billion-dollar industry mostly due to the incessant need to locate the fountain of youth.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best and defy ageing, the issue comes when plastic surgery has been undertaken more often than necessary.
Nowadays, people are looking for natural ways to achieve the benefits of anti-ageing without having to look like you have frozen in time. With that comes the rise in popularity in skin needling and cosmetic acupuncture.
Many patients of mine are confused as to what they actually do and how they are different.
So today’s blog post we unearth any misconceptions and set the record straight, so if you are interested in partaking in such therapies you are well informed to choose the right one for you.
Let’s start with Skin Needling. Skin Needling is also know as Collagen Induction Therapy which has many and varied anti-ageing effects in the skin.
- Rejuvenation of Skin Cells
- Improved Complexion and Tone
- Reduction in Hyper-pigmentation
- Reduction in fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction in acne scarring
- Increased uptake of topical skincare products (making skincare more effective)
These effects are determined by the size of the needles on the roller that is used during the skin needling technique. The size varies from 0.2mm to 3.0mm.
As you can imagine the larger the size of the needle the more discomfort inexperienced on the skin.
Personally I wouldn’t recommend anything under 0.5mm and to be honest once you go over 1.0mm you will need some sort of numbing cream which in my opinion is not ideal.
As I mentioned above, the uptake of anything you put on your skin during and after skin needling (up to 72 hours) is 1000x greater than before the skin needling.
So that means you are absorbing that numbing cream which is entering straight into your blood stream as the needles are penetrating the dermal layer (hence needling the numbing cream).
If you read the ingredients of these creams you will see ingredients that are known to be part of the “Avoid List” when it comes to cosmetics. My personal opinion is if you can tolerate it go to 1mm but not stress if you stay at 0.5mm as you will achieve the affects as mentioned above.
The only one you would see much benefit in would be the acne scarring, which brings me to Cosmetic Acupuncture.
In my treatments, I combine both Skin Needling and Cosmetic Acupuncture as I can strategically choose the areas I want a deeper stimulation of the needles as oppose to going all over the face and using a numbing cream.
Cosmetic Acupuncture benefits include:
- Lifting Jowls and Sagging.
- Rejuvenating skin to improve complexion and tone.
- Reducing Hyper-pigmentation.
- Rejuvenating Collagen and Elastin to reduce the depth and width of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Acne scarring and other forms of scarring is reduced
- Address health concerns and strengthen overall health by applying acupuncture to the body. This improves health from a foundation perspective and aims to reduce the ageing process.
- In addition, herbal medicine is provided to support cosmetic acupuncture and improve the individual’s overall health and wellbeing.
- Nutrition and Lifestyle factors are discussed to encourage optimal health.
As you can see there are certainly some cross over in benefits, which is absolutely fine and more importantly the person’s constitution is essential in these treatments as this is what can accelerate or slow down the natural ageing process that is inevitable to occur.
Here is an image of the before and after from the first treatment. Typically a course of 12 is required for optimal benefits listed above, however you can tell that even after the very first treatment the acupuncture and skin needling has rejuvenated the skin. If you would like to know more specifically what to expect in a treatment at Salubre Health Solutions, then head over to our website and find out more.
We have package deals available so feel free to call us on 03 9888 4129. https://www.salubre.com.au/facial-rejuvenation/
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.